Monday 26th Week in Ordinary Time

Gospel – Luke 9:46-50

I’m the Greatest; No, I Am!

Papa and Ty

 

Given the Gospel for the day, this one is worth repeating!

A little boy was overheard talking to himself as he strutted through the backyard, wearing his baseball cap and toting a ball and bat. “I’m the greatest hitter in the world,” he announced. Then, he tossed the ball into the air, swung at it, and missed.

“Strike One!” he yelled. Undaunted, he picked up the ball and said again, “I’m the greatest hitter in the world!” He tossed the ball into the air. When it came down he swung again and missed. “Strike Two!” he cried out.

The boy then paused a moment to examine his bat and ball carefully. He spit on his hands and rubbed them together. He straightened his cap and said once more, “I’m the greatest hitter in the world!” Again he tossed the ball up in the air and swung at it. He missed. “Strike Three!”

“Wow!” he exclaimed. “I’m the greatest pitcher in the world!”

We all want to the best at something; we all want to be recognized, appreciated for our accomplishments.  We all need that pat on the back.  But today the disciples have gone too far.  They are actually arguing with each other, fighting over who is the greatest.  Just picture that!  I’ve cured more people than you!  Jesus likes me better!  I can retell His parables better than anyone!  Can you imagine Jesus shaking His head, wondering what is going on.

He could have raised His voice; I guess He could have sent them to their room for acting like children (if they had a room).  But no, He speaks gently but directly to them. If you want to be the best, you must be the least.  You must accept this child in My name and, if you do, then you have accepted Me.  Treat everyone like you would a child and stop arguing.  There is no place in the Kingdom for rivalry or competition.

You would think that would have ended the matter.  But John quickly asks if they should prevent non-disciples from casting out demons.  He still doesn’t get it! He still think they are all better than anyone who is not a disciple.  He is still comparing himself to others!  Oh dear, I can picture another shaking of the head!

We are all human.  We all compare ourselves to others and hope we are better at something.  We all want to feel unique and special.  And we all stumble and fall in our pride and selfishness.  Just like the disciples!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog