Tuesday – Feasts of Sts. Michael, Gabriel and Raphael, Archangels

Gospel – John 1: 47-51

Down to Earth

Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation, Nazareth

While we are celebrating today the 4 Archangels, Michael, Gabriel and Raphael, it is hard not to also reflect on our own guardian angels.  I have always had this image of mine with his head buried in his hands, especially when I was little and more given to certain escapades.  What anxiety we must put our guardians through.  Or I imagine Clarence from It’s A Wonderful Life and the trials he had to endure to guide George through difficult times as he worked to earn his wings.

Most of the time it is my Dad I picture watching over me, shaking his head from time to time but never leaving my side.  And there have certainly been moments when I looked up and asked him to close his eyes and not see my idiotic antics.  But he remains there beside me.  And so do our guardian angels.

Michael, Gabriel and Raphael hold a special place in our faith.  We know their names and certain key events in the Bible reflect their interaction with us.   They are messengers from God bringing tidings of great news.  They protect us from evil and from Satan.  They stir the waters of the pool in the Temple and bring healing to Tobit.

Throughout our lives, they serve as a reminder to us that God is always beside us, always there for comfort and protection, always there to calm our fears and guide us through difficult times.

Angel of God, my guardian dear, 
To whom God's love commits me here, 
Ever this day, be at my side, 
To light and guard, to rule and guide.

Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog