Wednesday - 20th Week in Ordinary Time 

Gospel – Matthew 20: 1-16

Mom Liked You Best

Laborer in the Field, outside Jerusalem

Back in the day, there was this comedy team – the Smothers Brothers – Tom and Dick – and Tom was this one set routine where Tommy always complined – Mom always liked you best!  You got more Christmas presents than me!  Why did you get the bigger piece of pie?    I think we all know the drill!

As parents we know how difficult it is to be both fair and loving, just and compassionate when we deal with our children.  The same holds true for grandparents.   Often when I was blessed with spending the day with my 2 grandsons when they were little, I would treat them, among other things, to lunch. But I made the mistake one time of asking them – where do you want to go??  Big mistake.  I got two completely different answers – Portillo’s and Taco Bell - and the obvious hint that whichever I chose I would hear complaints!   IT’S NOT FAIR!!!!   You like him better; you picked him first last time – I couldn’t win!

It’s obvious that the landowner couldn’t please all his workers.  One way or another, some of them would get upset and complain!  But the owner (God) was trying to teach all of them a lesion, just not the same one.  For the late arrivals, it was an experience of compassion. For the ones who labored all day, it was a lesson of justice! 

It reminds me of my sci-fi show Doctor Who where the Doctor is complaining to his sentient time machine the Tardis) – you never take me where I want to go.  And the Tardis responds – True, but I always take you where you need to be1

Maybe that’s our lesson today – we don’t always get what we want but God does give us what we need- if only a sense of humility!


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog