Monday – 17th Week in Ordinary Time
Gospel – Matthew13:31-35
With Great Abandon!
Making Bread!
One thing I miss from our Dakin home is our gas cooktop/oven!! Our new home has electric and, after 2 years here, I continue to struggle making the adjustment. Nothing bakes the same way or time; it’s always a guessing game. I am realizing that altitude may also play a part in the baking process.
I made zucchini bread a couple days ago and they finally came out exactly the way I wanted (and tasted). But baking bread is still a challenge. Getting the dough to rest and rise is an ongoing challenge. Hard to realize that such a little ingredient like yeast could play such a big role in baking bread!
We hear about yeast in the second parable of today’s Gospel. Jesus speaks of a woman who prepares 3 measures of flour to make bread. The recipe I use requires about 4 cups of flour; out of that, I end up with 2 small loaves of fresh bread (pic). However, the woman in today’s parable is using 3 measures of wheat flour. That’s over a bushel of flour and would end up making over a dozen loaves of bread. In Jesus’ time, baking bread was a daily chore but no family is going to eat that much bread in one day.
So what’s going on? We know Jesus is a master story-teller. He is also a master exaggerator for the sake of making a point! And the point here is all about faith, real faith in God and in Jesus! It’s all about a faith so deep, so strong, that once it takes root in our heart, it grows with abandon and is impossible to uproot from our lives. It is a faith that energizes our hearts and our lives to spread it around. It fills us with love and hope for the future; it feeds our souls!
Creator of all life, no matter where we turn, you are there with us, to guide us and to shelter us from the storms of life. Be with us today and every day. Help us to grow in faith in You and love for our brothers and sisters.
Comments
Post a Comment