Tuesday – 17th Week in Ordinary Time
Gospel – Matthew 13:36-43
A Wise Man Once Said….
Church of St. Peter’s Primacy, Tabgha
I am not the greatest at asking for directions or for help. I am more a ‘learn from my mistakes’ kind of guy. Give me a project like assembling a 400 piece bookshelf/office work-station and I will go at it completely on my own. In the process, I must admit, it probably takes me twice as long to complete but then I tell myself – I did it all by myself! So in the end, I feel what I lack in wisdom is made up for with brute force, not always a good thing!
The disciples in today’s Gospel are in a much better frame of mind. Jesus has just shared the Parable of the Sower and the Seed. And they don’t understand! They don’t get it! But give them credit; they then ask Jesus to explain it to them. For once, I think Jesus’ explanation takes a back seat to the attitude of His disciples. They are honest – they are willing to admit that they don’t get the meaning of Jesus’ story. That shows a good deal of honesty – I’m not as smart as I think I am. It shows a willingness to learn – teach me the meaning! And it displays a certain wisdom – admitting that I don’t have all the answers and that I need help and direction! And it shows an attitude of humility – that there are many things that I just cannot control.
It’s an attitude that, in the face of disease and uncertainty, we all need today. We are living at a time with a lot more questions than answers and we need that attitude of “teach me” now more than ever. This is not a time when I can ‘do it all myself”. As trite as it sounds, we will only get through this together! We all need those daily reminders – wash your hands, disinfect your phone, where’s your mask, 6 feet please, and wash your hands again! We all need to remember that what I do affects those around me. We all need a good dose of humility, of honesty and wisdom. We all need, like the disciples, to admit we don’t have all the answers and to put ourselves in the hands of Jesus – to pray for His guidance, to ask for His helping hand!
Great Spirit, help me today to appreciate my failings and your Wisdom, to abandon my selfishness and seek comfort under your wings. Give me a caring heart and a discerning mind!

Comments
Post a Comment