Tuesday 3rd Week in Ordinary Time

Gospel – Mark 3:31-35

We Are Family!

Church of Transfiguration, Mt Tabor

 

First they came for the Communists  
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Communist

Then they came for the Socialists

And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Socialist

Then they came for the trade unionists
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a trade unionist

Then they came for the Jews
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Jew

Then they came for me
And there was no one left
To speak out for me

Given today’s Gospel reading and the current state of affairs in the world, in our nation and in Minneapolis, this decades-old quote seems most appropriate!

Jesus could not make it any clearer!  We are all one family!  We are all brothers and sisters! 

In truth, Jesus is not rejecting His mother, His family and friends.  Instead, He is offering an invitation to all of us to be a part of His family if we only believe and do the Father’s will.  Imagine that, Jesus invites each of us to be His brother or sister!  Isn’t that exactly what we were baptized into?  Aren’t we all part of a family of faith, a family beyond blood and ethnicity!

And that is the family that Jesus speaks of today.  We are all brothers and sisters in Christ.  We are all part of one family – one Lord, one Faith, one Baptism in Christ!  We are called to follow in His footsteps and to care for each other, to care for all people with love and compassion, no matter their age, gender, beliefs or nationality.  This is not a time for more rhetoric or harsh words, not a time for finger-pointing or clenched fists!  This is the time, this is always the time, to be and act as a Christian!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog