Saturday – 25th Week in Ordinary Time

Gospel – Luke 9:43b-45

Pay Attention!

Basilica of Annunciation, Nazareth

I was sitting in the family room yesterday afternoon and then I got up and went into the kitchen to get………….something.  I still don’t remember what I went there for!  Let’s be clear; our home has an open floor plan and the distance I walked was barely 10 steps.  And yet somewhere between the 2 rooms I lost my train of thought.  Old age?  Perhaps!  But I also think it has more to do with all that is on my (our) mind.  We juggle so many responsibilities, so many appointments and chores, so many stresses and concerns that it’s a wonder we can think straight.  Of course, all too often, it has much to do with sheer daydreaming.  One thought leads to another after another after another until we get to a point where we don’t remember where we started!

I have certainly had many experiences of students ‘lost in thought’ and I had to bring them back to reality!  Wake Up!  Pay Attention!!  Earth calling Joe!

And that takes us to today’s Gospel.  Jesus telling the disciples to pay attention!  He reminds them (again) that He will be handed over to be put to death.  But they aren’t listening.  Just in the previous chapters, they have seen Jesus calm the storm, raise Jairus’ daughter, cast out a demon and transfigure on Mt. Tabor.  Is it any wonder that they can’t (won’t) believe what He is saying – that He will be crucified?

As disciples, Jesus has the same message for all of us.  Pay Attention!  Listen!  Open your ears and open your heart to My words.  And believe!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog