Friday – 4th Week of Easter

Gospel – John 14:1-6

Lost and Found

Lavi Kibbutz, Galilee

Clifford and Daisy May were married for many years. Whenever there was a confrontation, yelling could be heard deep into the night. Clifford would shout, "When I die, I'll dig my way up and out of the grave and come back and haunt you for the rest of your life ol' woman!!"

Neighbors feared him. Old Clifford liked the fact that he was feared.  He died at the ripe old age of 98. After the burial, Daisy May's neighbors, concerned for her safety, asked, "Aren't you afraid that he may indeed be able to dig his way out of the grave and haunt you for the rest of your life?"

She replied, "LET HIM DIG. I HAD HIM BURIED UPSIDE DOWN...AND I KNOW HE WON'T ASK FOR DIRECTIONS."

Like any good husband, I prefer to be the driver and that also means I know where we are going all the time.  Who needs a map?  Who needs directions?  I got this!  I think I inherited it from my father.  He always got us there but not always very quickly.  My mom would complain – why is it taking so long?  My dad would respond – we’re taking the scenic route!  That’s code for – we are lost and I’m being stubborn! 

Yes, I have gotten myself lost plenty of times!  But actually admit it?  Well, that’s quite another story.  We like to think we don’t need any help; we can do this on our own.  We think we know the way to go and we will get there – eventually!  So it’s rather refreshing to hear Thomas in today’s Gospel say that he doesn’t know the way.  Maybe he was the backseat driver?  But Jesus gently reminds them that He is the way.  The way to heaven, to eternal life, is through our belief in Jesus!

The problem remains – we are still very stubborn – we think we know better, we think we know what’s best for us and we can handle everything on our own.  I don’t need a map or GPS or a navigator.  I got this!  We let our stubbornness and pride take over and, in the process, we get lost.  We lose our sense of direction; we lose our faith in God.  So for once, let’s put aside the stubbornness and let’s let Jesus take the wheel or at least let’s listen to His directions and actually follow them.  He knows the Way!  He is the Way!  And the Truth!  And the Life!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog