Thursday - Second Week of Easter  

Gospel – John 3:31-36

Short and Sweet

Rock of Agony, Gethsemane

 “Whoever believes in the Son will have eternal life.”  I don’t think it can get any simpler than that.  Believe in Jesus!  Believe that He is the Son of God.  Believe that He suffered and died for our sins.  Believe that He rose from the dead and offers us the gift of that same eternal life.

But let’s be clear – belief is not just a simple intellectual exercise.  It’s not the same as – if I flip this switch, I believe the light will go on.  It is not merely a mind game.  Belief in Jesus involves our entire self – body and soul, head and heart.  It means that we are called to live out that belief in our daily lives!  We are called to demonstrate that belief in our actions with others.  And not just once, not just occasionally but day in and day out.  Our life is to be a reflection of our belief!

Wow!  Things just got a lot more difficult.  How in the world can I do that?  I know I’m gonna mess up; I know I am gonna stumble and fall.  I can’t do this by myself!  Today’s Gospel addresses that as well.  “God does not ration out the gift of the Spirit.”  The Spirit!  The Spirit will be there to guide us, support us, calm us down and energize us to move forward.   

You are not alone!  Believe in me and trust in the Spirit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog