Wednesday of Holy Week

First Reading – Isaiah 50:4-9

A Wise Man Once Said…..

The Cenacle, Site of the Last Supper

The Sovereign Lord has given me his words of wisdom,
    so that I know how to comfort the weary.
Morning by morning he wakens me
    and opens my understanding to his will.
 The Sovereign Lord has spoken to me,
    and I have listened.
    I have not rebelled or turned away.

I thought today we could switch things up and reflect a bit on the first reading from Isaiah.  The key word here is WISDOM!  It is the one of what is called the Servant Songs in Isaiah and offers a foreshadowing of Jesus in its verses.  It reflects on a Servant who not only hears but speaks the Word of God and shares His words of Wisdom!  He hears the Word and welcomes it; he does not shy away from it or reject it.  It speaks of a man who is both teacher and student, one who spreads the Wisdom of God but remains open to growth in the Spirit and in wisdom.

Through the Sacrament of Confirmation, the Spirit has showered upon us all the Gift of Wisdom and Understanding.  But the Gospel reminds us today that wisdom is not just hearing and speaking the Word of God.  Too often, we mistake knowledge for wisdom.  But there is a real difference.  I always remind people that knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit, NOT a vegetable!  And Wisdom?  Wisdom is NOT putting tomatoes into a fruit salad!

That example is a clear reminder that it is not enough to just speak wisely!  We are also called to act wisely!  Judas in today’s Gospel has problems in both respects. We find the Apostles preparing for Passover– finding a room, securing the proper food and then gathering for the Seder meal.  But while all the other disciples are busy preparing for Passover, Judas is speaking to the Jewish leaders and offers to hand Jesus over to them for judgment.  He not only speaks unwisely; he acts without wisdom as he seeks an opportunity to betray Jesus.  While he has heard the words of Jesus countless times, he has failed to entrust them into his heart and his life.  That is a difficult task for each and every one of us.

Great Spirit, help me appreciate the role you have given me.  Let my senses be sharp to hear Your voice.  Keep my mind clean so that I may do the things You would have me do.  Aho!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog