4th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Gospel – Mark 1:21-28

Don’t I Know You?

Street Scene, Jerusalem

It’s a running joke in our house – Ginger and I can’t go anywhere without us running into one of my former students.  After 40 years of teaching, I guess that is to be expected.  But I still seem to have a good enough memory that I invariably not just recognize their face but also remember their name and can still come up with stories about their time in high school.  The students are  always amazed that I remember them, especially if it’s just a chance encounter on the street (right, Fabi!).  Ginger’s reaction tends to be a nod of the head, a roll of the eyes, and a simple ‘yes, dear’!

I’m afraid I subject Ginger to the same barrage of useless knowledge when we are watching TV.  I insist on not only recognizing the actor but I proceed to list all the other shows and movies they were in and then end it with “You remember them, don’t you”.  More nods of the head and a simple “No, dear, I don’t”. In some ways, that’s quite a remarkable achievement, especially when I think about all the times I walk from one room to another and completely forget what I was looking for!  Some things we remember or recognize, others, not so much!

The people in the synagogue in today’s Gospel recognize Jesus in the power of His words; they are amazed that He speaks with such authority.  And they recognize the miraculous effect of His actions, the healing of the man possessed! But it’s the unclean spirit that truly sees Jesus for what He is – the Holy One of God – and he declares that fact in a loud voice!  Imagine that!  Even the demons recognize Jesus as divine, as the Son of God. 

Why is it that we can remember some things and not others, recognize one face and not another, commit some words to memory and others fall by the wayside?  And maybe that is the question we need to ask ourselves today.  How many opportunities to recognize Jesus have we missed already today?  Would we even recognize Jesus if we passed Him on the street?

Do we see Him in our encounters with the poor and the needy and the sick, the homeless and the lost, the forgotten and the ignored?  Did we miss Him because we were focused on something we thought more important?  Or maybe we just couldn’t be bothered! 

Or maybe the better question is this:  can others see Jesus in their encounters with us?  Can they recognize His love and compassion in our words?  In our actions? 

So we pray.  Great Spirit, you are my peace and You dwell within me.  Let me look for you within myself!  Aho!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog