Thursday – 25th Week in Ordinary Time

First Reading – Haggai 1:1-8

I Can’t Get No……..

Basilica of the Annunciation, Nazareth

Now thus says the LORD of hosts:
Consider your ways!
You have sown much, but have brought in little;
you have eaten, but have not been satisfied;
You have drunk, but have not been exhilarated;
have clothed yourselves, but not been warmed;
And whoever earned wages
earned them for a bag with holes in it.

So?  How’s your life going?  Enough to eat?  A modest savings account?  Roof over your hear and clothes to wear?  Are you comfortable?  Are you satisfied?  Or is there something nagging at you, something that keeps asking you – is this all there is?  Isn’t there something more to life than just human needs and possessions?

It reminds me of a Rolling Stones song!

I can't get no satisfaction
I can't get no satisfaction
'Cause I try, and I try, and I try, and I try
  

When I'm driving in my car
When a man come on the radio
He's telling me more and more
About some useless information
Supposed to fire my imagination

 I can't get no satisfaction
I can't get no satisfaction
 

When I'm watchin' my TV
And a man comes on and tells me
How white my shirts can be
But, he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke
The same cigarettes as me

The Prophet Haggai reminds us today that we should not be concerned only with our personal human comfort – not food or drink, not clothing or money!  He condemns those who care more about the condition of their home and their belly and neglect their God!  He urges them to rebuild the Temple, God’s home and to renew their faith. 

And so God calls us!  He calls us to faith!  Great Spirit, remove from me those things that block me from You.  Allow me this day to grow closer to you in faith and in love!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog