Wednesday – 7th Week of Easter

Reading – Acts 20:28-38

Tearful Farewells

Church of Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem

There is a story I heard many decades ago about a Christian missionary who went and lived with an isolated tribe in Africa.  For 2 years, he lived with them, worked with them, instructed them and guided them in the Christian faith.  At the end of those 2 years, a good number of the villagers were baptized.  And at the end of the ritual, the missionary got up and told them “I have finished my last instruction in your village.  I will never come back to teach anyone else here.  From this day on, it is you people who must teach and judge whether anyone is ready for Baptism.  From this day forward, stop depending on me and start depending on the Holy Spirit.  You were a people with a past and no future; now you are the People of God.  You are now the Church.  If what I have taught you means anything at all, you will continue to grow in the faith and share that faith with others.  It is now all up to you!”

We hear of another farewell in today’s reading from the Acts of the Apostles.  Paul is tearfully saying goodbye to the Christian community of Ephesus.  They will never see him again but he reminds them to keep the faith and remain in the Spirit.

“I commend you to God and to that gracious word of his that can build you up
and give you the inheritance among all who are consecrated.
I have never wanted anyone’s silver or gold or clothing.
You know well that these very hands have served my needs and my companions.
In every way I have shown you that by hard work of that sort we must help the weak,
and keep in mind the words of the Lord Jesus who himself said,
‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”

It is now their mission to not only keep the Faith but to spread it! 

Goodbyes to loved ones are never easy whether we end up separated by distance (such as yesterday’s reflection) or by death.  Either way we keep those loved ones close in memory and treasured in our hearts.  And we, in many ways, move forward in life warmed by their love and energized by their spirit and example!  And so it is for all of us!  We are the Church!  If what we have been taught means anything, we will continue to grow in the Faith and share that Faith with others. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog