First Sunday of Advent

Matthew 24:4-51

Like A Thief During the Day?

Synagogue at Capernaum

Some 15 years ago or so, I was driving home from a long day of teaching and, when I pulled into my garage, I noticed that our backyard gate was open.  Curious!  Once I headed toward the house, the reason became disastrously clear.  Our back door was hanging open and the door frame was busted and in pieces.  It only got worse when I entered the house.  The floors were covered with debris. Drawers were pulled out and the contents strewn all over.  Every room was the same; it was like a tornado had hit!  We had been robbed!  Jewelry, electronics, television, computers, cash, you name it – so much was gone – even my precious pocket watch that had been gifted to me by my dad.  All gone! 

It’s a terrible feeling to see your home and your privacy violated like that.  You keep asking yourself = what could I have done differently?  Did I not do enough to protect my home?  Woulda!  Coulda!  Shoulda!  Why didn’t I prepare better!  Needless to say, we made some changes!  We reinforced the door frames, added better deadbolt locks and installed a security system!

I guess it’s easy to prepare AFTER the fact!  But Jesus, in today’s Gospel, talks about preparing BEFOREHAND!  Before it’s too late!  This passage happens during Wednesday of Holy Week in Jerusalem.  Jesus knows what is coming!  He has been preparing all His life for this final week.  Are we prepared?  Have we invested the time, the energy and the faith?  Too often, we all rush around at the last minute to make up for all the lost time and opportunities.   Or we kick ourselves afterwards for not doing enough!

As we begin this new liturgical year, this Season of Advent, we are all called to prepare for the coming of the Savior!   Will these next few weeks be any different from the past?  Will we pray more often?  Be more charitable?  Or will we be so consumed with our daily tasks (preparing for the “holiday” of Christmas) that we forget the true meaning of the season?   Advent should not be a simple last minute rush; it’s a time of preparation. It requires faith and dedication and, yes, even love. It requires the sort of effort above and beyond what we put in to get our family and home ready for Christmas.  Let us be vigilant as we anticipate the coming of the Savior!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog