Thursday – Sts. Michael, Gabriel & Raphael, Archangels

Gospel – John 1:47-51

Angels Among Us

 Western Wall, Jerusalem

A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.  Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, “Jump in, I can save you.”  The stranded fellow shouted back, “No, it’s OK, I’m praying to God and he is going to save me.”  So the rowboat went on.

Then a motorboat came by. “The fellow in the motorboat shouted, “Jump in, I can save you.”

To this the stranded man said, “No thanks, I’m praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith.”

So the motorboat went on.

Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, “Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety.”

To this the stranded man again replied, “No thanks, I’m praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith.”  So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.

Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, “I had faith in you but you didn’t save me, you let me drown. I don’t understand why!”

To this God replied, “I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?”

We celebrate today the Feasts of Sts. Michael, Gabriel and Raphael the Archangels.  Michael the guardian and protector from evil and harm!  Gabriel the messenger of God!  And Raphael the healer!  We all grew up with that appreciation of having our own personal guardian angel, unseen but always there to guide and protect us.

But let today be a time to remember all those ‘angels among us’!  The Mom who reminds (and yes even nags) us to take our meds or stick to our diet!  That best friend who sees us in pain and offer to help, to listen!  That neighbor who drops off fresh meals because they knew we were sick.  A special holiday or birthday card from a classmate who is miles and years removed from our last contact! 

Angels, like Michael, who protect the little ones when they becomes frightened walking through a haunted house on Halloween.  Angels, like Gabriel, who are the bearers of good news, sharing God’s message by word and example to others.  Angels, like Raphael, who offer a healing touch or a comforting word to those suffering in mind and body!   

It seems quite appropriate to share this song again! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTDRg5G77x4&list=LL&index=3

Tell me your story and I'll tell you mine
I'm all ears, take your time, we've got all night
Show me the rivers crossed, the mountains scaled
Show me who made you walk all the way here

  
Settle down, put your bags down
You're alright now

We don't need to be related to relate
We don't need to share genes or a surname
You are, you are
My chosen, chosen family
So what if we don't look the same?
We been going through the same thing, yeah
You are, you are
My chosen, chosen family

 Hand me a pen and I'll rewrite the pain
When you're ready, we'll turn the page together
Open a bottle, it's time we celebrate
Who you were, who you are
We're one and the same, yeah, yeah

Great Spirit, grant me today the wisdom to recognize and appreciate the angels in my life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog