- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Tuesday – 17th Week in Ordinary Time
Gospel – Matthew 13:36-43
And I Will Walk “500 Miles”…….
Church of Holy Sepulchre
I am not the greatest at asking for directions or for help. I am more of a ‘learn from my mistakes’ kind of guy. Give me a project like assembling a 400-piece bookshelf/office work-station and I will go at it completely on my own. Who needs directions? In the process, I must admit, it probably takes me twice as long to complete but then I tell myself – I did it all by myself! So in the end, I feel what I lack in wisdom is made up for with brute force, not always a good thing!
The disciples in today’s Gospel are in a much better frame of mind. Jesus has just shared the Parable of the Sower and the Seed. And they don’t understand! They don’t get it! But give them credit; they ask Jesus to explain it to them. For once, I think Jesus’ explanation takes a back seat to the attitude of His disciples. They are honest – they are willing to admit that they don’t get the meaning of Jesus’ story. That shows a good deal of honesty – I’m not as smart as I think I am. It shows a willingness to learn – teach me the meaning! And it displays a certain wisdom – admitting that I don’t have all the answers and that I need help and direction! And it shows an attitude of humility – that there are many things that I just cannot control.
It’s an attitude that, in the face of disease and uncertainty, as the positivity numbers are again on the rise, we all still need today. We are living at a time with a lot more questions than answers and we need that attitude of “teach me” now more than ever. This is not a time to relax or be complacent. This is not a time when I can ‘do it all myself”. As trite as it sounds, we have only gotten this far by working together and looking out for each other! Throughout the last 16 months, we all needed those daily reminders – wash your hands, disinfect your phone, where’s your mask, 6 feet please, and wash your hands again! We all needed to remember that what I do affects those around me. We all needed a good dose of humility, of honesty and wisdom. We all needed, like the disciples, to admit we didn’t have all the answers and to put ourselves in the hands of Jesus – to pray for His guidance, to ask for His helping hand! Just as this pandemic continues to demand our attention, may we also continue to focus our attention on our Father in heaven, with humility and in recognition of our need for His wisdom and grace!
Great Spirit, help me today to appreciate my failings and Your Wisdom, to abandon my selfishness and seek comfort under your wings. Give me a caring heart and a discerning mind!
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment