Wednesday –
Third Week of Lent
Gospel – Matthew 5:17-19
There are too many rules! Why do I have to obey them?
Sunrise, Sea of Galilee
As we enter this 3rd day of home-schooling, you have probably already heard these words many times by now. The quick answer is “Because I said so”, probably the same thing our parents said to us. Let’s face it, none of us like rules. We think they limit us; we think we know better; we wish they were easier to follow. Every time we get a new boss, a new principal, a new teacher or babysitter, we hope they will change the rules and make things easier.
Jesus’ followers were thinking the same thing in today’s Gospel. But He sets them straight. He isn’t here to change the rules, to eliminate them or cut them down. He is here to change our FOCUS! Quit thinking about obeying the law just because it’s the law. Quit thinking about focusing on how the law affects ourselves. Focus on how the rules focus on others! Focus on how cheating, lying and stealing hurts others and hurts my relationship with them.
Why do we make rules for our kids? Because we want them to learn, to grow, to thrive, to get along with others. Why do I have to obey your rules? Because I love you!!! It’s a new day; the sun is rising over the Sea of Galilee. Be calm and carry on!
Comments
Post a Comment