Monday - 28th Week in Ordinary Time

Gospel – Luke11:29-32

Give Me A Sign

Signs, Ginosar in Upper Galilee

A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help. Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, "Jump in, I can save you."  The stranded fellow shouted back, "No, it's OK, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me."  So the rowboat went on.

Then a motorboat came by. "The fellow in the motorboat shouted, "Jump in, I can save you.  "To this the stranded man said, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."  So the motorboat went on.

Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, "Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety."  To this the stranded man again replied, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."  So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.

Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, "I had faith in you but you didn't save me, you let me drown. I don't understand why!"  To this God replied, "I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"

We hear about signs in today’s Gospel but the context is quite different.  The people are asking Jesus for a sign.  Prove yourself to us; give us a sign so that we know you are a prophet sent from God.  They believe they already have all the answers, that they know the truth.  They believe they are standing on a religious high ground looking down and judging Jesus’ worth as a prophet.  But Jesus sees them as they really are – a faithless generation, they are a bit like Herod in Jesus Christ Superstar!  Prove to me that you’re divine; change my water into wine.  Jesus’ response to them is simple – the sign of Jonah!  Jonah is called to prophesy disaster to the faithless people in Nineveh for their wickedness.  And they repent!  Jesus’ message to the people is clear: unlike the people of Nineveh, you have not repented!  Unlike the people who listened to Solomon, you have not listened to Jesus’ message!

We all hit crossroads in life; we are all looking for answers, for the right path to take.  Especially in moments of life-changing decisions, we pray for a sign from God to help us along the way.  We pray for guidance and wisdom! 

But Jesus reminds us that our faith isn’t based on miracles or wonders!  Our faith is based on the presence of Jesus in our lives.  That is what the Jews were lacking.  The real sign is Jesus standing right in front of their eyes but they refused to see!  And that is the challenge for us – to see the presence of Jesus in all we do, to see His gentle touch and calming voice in all our choices, guiding us along the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog