Wednesday – Sts. Michael, Gabriel & Raphael, Archangels

Gospel – John 1:47-51

Angels Among Us

Basilica of the Annunciation, Nazareth

A few years ago, I learned that one of my favorite teachers from my high school years in the  seminary, Fr. Brendan, was suffering from terminal cancer.  It was very sad news; Father Brendan was my English teacher, our theater director, my spiritual guide and mentor.  Luckily I was able to get in touch with him in those last few months and we had a phone chat reminiscing about our time together.  It was an opportunity for me to thank him for being such a role model and inspiration to me, especially in those moments of doubt and hardship.  He truly was an angel in my life.

We celebrate today the Feasts of Sts. Michael, Gabriel and Raphael the Archangels.  Michael the guardian and protector from evil and harm!  Gabriel the messenger of God!  And Raphael the healer!  We all grew up with that appreciation of having our own personal guardian angel, unseen but always there to guide and protect us.  Like Brendan, I am sure we all have had our own human guardian angels, someone who guided us, looked out for us, and challenged us to grow in faith!  And hopefully we have all had the chance to thank those special people. 

But I would like to suggest today that we reflect a bit on when and how we can be guardian angels to others.  When, like Michael, we protect our little daughter when she becomes frightened walking through a haunted house on Halloween.  When, like Gabriel, we are the bearers of good news, when we share God’s message by word and example to others.  And when, like Raphael, we offer a healing touch or a comforting thought to those suffering in mind and body!  Maybe that can be our challenge today!  Be a guardian angel!  Be the presence of God in someone’s life!  Show the power of God at work in your life and share His message of love and compassion!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog