Friday - 16th Week in Ordinary Time

Gospel – Matthew 13:18-23

Attention Please!

The Streets of Jerusalem

I remember going home to visit my parents quite a few years ago.  While I was there, as usual, I had a few chores to complete, one of which was trimming the hedges.  Not an easy job and not one that I had done before. The hedges are 4 feet tall and run the entire northern edge of the property.  My dad went to a great deal of explanation on how to manage the electric trimmer, how much to trim, how to trim and, most especially, how to avoid cutting through the extension cord.  I kept nodding my head in agreement but I kept telling myself I don’t need any instructions.  I know how to do this!  Wrong, so wrong!

In a short amount of time, I did exactly what he cautioned me not to do – cut the cord!  I did!  So I then had to drive to the hardware store and buy another 50 foot cord.  And then, guess what!  I did it again!  I cut the electric cord twice!  I guess I should have paid more attention!   Sometimes we can be so dense!  Sometimes we need things explained to us – multiple times – before it really sinks in!

Jesus has just shared the Parable of the Sower and the Seed with the crowd.  But the disciples ask Him later – can You explain what it means!  Let’s give the disciples some credit here; they do ask Jesus to explain and you can be certain they paid attention to His words.  Quite unlike a certain hedge-trimmer!

And so Jesus explains!  The seed is the Word of God.  Some hear the Word and don’t understand.  Some react with joy but it doesn’t last.  Some hear the Word but the worries of the world choke its growth!  And some falls on rich soil and it grows and flourishes!

So let’s make this the question for the day.  Whether we are rich soil or rocky or full of thorns, are we even listening?  Are we paying attention to the Word? Are we hearing Jesus’ explanation?  Do we need it explained multiple times or do we think we know better? Attention Please!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog