Monday – Feast of Mary Mother of the Church

Gospel – John19:25-34

Help Me, Mom!

Church of Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem

I remember when I moved into my first apartment.  Truth be told, I was completely clueless about keeping a clean space, much less knowing how to live (and cook) on my own.  It was my mom who got everything neat and tidy with a massive cleaning effort.  And it was my Mom who really took care of washing clothes whenever I brought them home.  I learned, little by little; but it took the example of my mom to show me the way.

Can anyone even count, much less remember, all the times our mothers have come to our aid when we needed it.  Caring for us when we was sick, helping us with that difficult math homework, supporting us when we moved away from home, listening to us when life got difficult, protecting us when I fell and skinned our knee.  Most of the time, it was a dirty, thankless job but she did it anyway and she never looked for thanks or recognition.  She did it all out of love.

We celebrate today the Feast of Mary, Mother of the Church.  It is a reminder to us all that Mary is not only Jesus’ Mother, but our own.  Today’s Gospel tells us the same story.  At the cross, Jesus tells John that Mary is now his mother and he is her son.  By extension, we have all become Mary’s children and Mary truly is Mother of the Church.

And if we run to our own mothers in times of trouble, times of pain and anguish, so too are we called to run to Mary, to pray for her intercession in times when our soul needs comfort and encouragement.  Certainly during these past few days of violence and unrest, of fear for one’s safety and well-being, at a time when we pray for guidance and leadership, we call to Mary.  Help us to heal our wounds, hear us in this troubled time, support our worried souls, and be with us as we search for meaning and peace.  Aho!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog